September 6, 2020 ~ 10:30 AM ~
14th Sunday after Pentecost
Leading us today in Worship
Minister: Rev. Thérèse Samuel
Music Director: Dr. Christopher Burton
Lay Leader & Scripture Reader Phyllis Fleming
~ Leader reads regular font
~ All read bold font
~ All Sing: bold italics
PRELUDE Goldberg Variations: "Air" J.S. Bach
GREETING (2 Cor 13:14)
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. And also with you.
Additional Scriptures (included in service themes, not read today):
Exodus 12 :1-14 Instructions for the first Passover
Romans 13 :8-14 Owe no one anything but love.
CENTERING WORDS and INTENTION-SETTING
The love of God brings peace into our lives. The judgment of God brings peace to our world. brief silence to set our intention for this time of worship
CALL TO WORSHIP
Praise the Lord! Sing to the Lord a new song. Let all God’s children rejoice. Clap your hands and praise God with dancing. Shout for joy and praise God with music. For God brings justice to the peoples. God brings judgment upon the powerful. Sing to the Lord a new song. Let all God’s children rejoice.
HYMN VU 245 Praise the Lord with the Sound of Trumpet
1. Praise the Lord with the sound of trumpet, praise the Lord with the harp and lute, praise the Lord with the gentle-sounding flute. Praise the Lord in the field and forest, praise the Lord in the city square, praise the Lord anytime and anywhere. Praise the Lord in the wind and sunshine, praise the Lord in the dark of night, praise the Lord in the rain or snow or in the morning light. Praise the Lord in the deepest valley, praise the Lord on the highest hill, praise the Lord, never let your voice be still.
2. Praise the Lord with the crashing cymbal, praise the Lord with the pipe and string, praise the Lord with the joyful songs you sing. Praise the Lord on a weekday morning, praise the Lord on a Sunday noon, praise the Lord by the light of sun or moon. Praise the Lord in the time of sorrow, praise the Lord in the time of joy, praise the Lord every moment, nothing let your praise destroy. Praise the Lord in the peace and quiet, praise the Lord in your work or play, praise the Lord everywhere in every way!
God of love and judgment, when the Egyptians enslaved your people. your love set them free; When rulers oppress the poor and powerless, your judgment brings peace and justice to the land. Reach our minds, O God, that we may love our neighbours as we love ourselves. Amen.
PRAYER OF CONFESSION
Merciful God, help us become the people you have created us to be. We yearn to build communities of love, but it is easier to tear down than to build up. We long for the healing of the nations, but it is easier to harm than to heal. We want to bear our grief with dignity, but it is satisfying to parade our wounds for all to see. Bind up our spirits, Gracious One, that we might reconcile with those who have caused us pain. Help us cast aside the things that chain our spirits, that we might be free to care for one another and fulfill your law of love. Amen.
WORDS OF ASSURANCE
Hear the words of Jesus: “Where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.” As we gather to fulfill the law of love, Christ is here to make us whole.
PRAYER FOR ILLUMINATION As we prepare to listen for what the Bible is saying to us, let us pray: Creator, we pray, as we ponder your word, bless us with your wisdom and grace that we may join your Spirit’s dance, and be moved to live in the way of your Christ. Amen.
SCRIPTURE:Psalm 149 (VU 872, Sung) Give praise to our God.
1. Give praise to our God and sing a new song, amid all the saints God's praises prolong; a song to your maker and ruler now raise, all children of Zion, rejoice and give praise.
2. With timbrel and harp and joyful acclaim, with gladness and mirth, we praise your great name; for now in your people your pleasure you seek, with robes of salvation adorning the meek.
3. In glory exult, you saints of the Word; with songs in the night high praises accord; go forth in God's service, be strong in God's might to conquer all evil and stand for the right.
4. For this is God's word: the saints shall not fail, but over the earth the humble prevail; all rulers and nations shall yield to their sway. To God give the glory; sing praises for aye.
Matthew 18 :15-20 Where two or three are gathered in my name.
The word of God for the people of God. Thanks be to God.
TIME OF PREPARATION We prepare to reflect on God’s word.
SERMON “Be the Change for the Church and the World”
HYMN VU 402 We Are One
1. We are one as we come, as we come, joyful to be here, in the praise on our lips there's a sense that God is near. We are one as we sing, as we seek, we are found; and we come needful of God's grace as we meet, together in this place.
2. We are one as we share, as we share brokenness and fear, in the touch of a hand there's a sense that God is here. We are one as we care, as we heal, we are healed; and we share warmth in God's embrace as we pray together in this place.
3. We are one as we feast, as we feast, peace becomes the sign; in the bread and the wine there's a sense of love divine. We are one as we come; as we feed, we are fed; and we feel God's refreshing grace as we meet at table in this place.
4. We are one as we hear, as we hear, heart and hand unite; in the word we receive there's a sense that God is light. We are one as we leave, as we love, we are loved; and we seek justice in God's ways as we move together from this place.
PROFESSION OF FAITH A New Creed
We are not alone, we live in God’s world. We believe in God: who has created and is creating, who has come in Jesus, the Word made flesh, to reconcile and make new, who works in us and others by the Spirit. We trust in God. We are called to be the Church: to celebrate God’s presence, to live with respect in Creation, to love and serve others, to seek justice and resist evil, to proclaim Jesus, crucified and risen, our judge and our hope. In life, in death, in life beyond death, God is with us. We are not alone. Thanks be to God.
PRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE
THE LORD’S PRAYER (Spoken, traditional words, VU 921)
PASSING THE PEACE OF CHRIST
The Peace of Christ be with you. And also with you.
We give thanks for all God has given as we dedicate our offering.
INVITATION TO OFFERING
PRAYER OF DEDICATION OF GIFTS AND SELF
In celebration of their deliverance from slavery, the Hebrew people offered you their worship and their praise. May the offering we bring before you this day be a sign of our celebration of your saving love and your never-failing grace. Just as Passover stands as a perpetual observance of your love and care, so may our weekly offering be a perpetual observance of your love in our lives. Amen.
OFFERTORY Prelude #2 G. Gershwin A single stone placed in the offering plate honours all our gifts.
HYMN MV 138 My Love Colours Outside the Lines
1. My love colours outside the lines, exploring paths that few could ever find; and takes me into places where I've never been before, and opens doors to worlds outside the lines.
2. My Lord colours outside the lines, turns wounds to blessings, water into wine; and takes me into places where I've never been before, and opens doors to worlds outside the lines. We'll never walk on water if we're not prepared to drown, body and soul need a soaking from time to time. And we'll never move the gravestones if we're not prepared to die, and realize there are worlds outside the lines.
3. My soul longs to colour outside the lines, tear back the curtains, sun, come in and shine; I want to walk beyond the boundaries where I've never been before, throw open doors to worlds outside the lines. We'll never walk on water if we're not prepared to drown, body and soul need a soaking from time to time. And we'll never move the gravestones if we're not prepared to die, and realize there are worlds outside the lines.
4. My soul longs to colour outside the lines, tear back the curtains, sun, come in and shine; I want to walk beyond the boundaries where I've never been before, throw open doors to worlds outside the lines.
God has put a new song in our hearts. We go to sing a new song to the Lord. God has put a song of justice and peace in our souls. We go to bring a new song to the world. God has put a song of joy in our very being. We go to live a new song with every step we take.
SUNG BLESSING Go Now in Peace
Go now in peace. Never be afraid. God will go with you each hour of every day. Go now in faith, steadfast, strong and true, Know God will guide you in all you do. Go now in love, and show you believe. Reach out to others so all the world can see. God will be there, * within, around, above. Go now in peace, in faith and in love. Amen, amen, amen. * alternate words: watching from above
POSTLUDE Sonatensatz C.P.E. Bach
PRAYER CANDLES and COFFEE HOUR Join us via Zoom for community time. Zoom Link in eblast.
The following are used with permission: - Centring Words, Call to Worship, Opening Prayer, Prayer of Confession, Words of Assurance, Prayer of Dedication and Sending By B.J. Beu, from The Abingdon Worship Annual 2020, © B.J. Beu. - Prayer for Illumination, Sermon, Prayers of the People, written by Thérèse Samuel, 2020 - Affirmation of Faith: “A New Creed,” The United Church of Canada, General Council 1968, alt. 1998
HYMNS and SUNG VERSES
- “Praise the Lord with the Sound of Trumpet.” Words: Natalie Sleeth 1975 Music: Natalie Sleeth 197. Used by permission, One License #608577 Words and music copyright 1976 Hinshaw Music, Inc.. Used by permission, One License #608577.
- Psalm “Give Praise to Our God.” Words: The Psalter 1912 alt. 1995 Music: C. Hubert H. Parry 1887
- “We Are One.” Words: Doreen Lankshear-Smith 1988 Music: Jeeva Sam 1987, arr. David Kai 1995 Words copyright 1988 Doreen Lankshear-Smith Music copyright 1995 Jeeva Sam. Arrangement copyright 1995 David Kai.. Used by permission, One License #608577.
- “My Love Colours Outside the Lines.” Words and music: Gordon Light, 1994: arrangement: Andrew Donaldson, 1998 Words and music copyright 1994 Common Cup Company, Arrangement copyright 1998 Andrew Donaldson. Used by permission, One License #608577.
- “Go Now in Peace.” Words by Don Besig and Nancy Price. © 1988 Harold Flammer Music, Inc. Alternate words used with permission. Reproduced with permission, One License, #608577. Prelude: Goldberg Variations: "Air" J.S. Bach Offertory: Prelude #2 G. Gershwin Postlude: Sonatensatz C.P.E. Bach
- Scripture Passage from the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) Bible, copyright © 1989 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission.
- Scripture Quotations from The Message (MSG) Bible, copyright © 1993, 2002, 2018 by Eugene H. Peterson